Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
List of ingredients to make fig-filled shortbread for 4 people
Here are my little secrets for the most delicious fig-filled shortbread:
- 200g of flour
- 100g brown sugar
- 120g salted butter
- 1 egg
- 70g dried figs
- 2 tablespoons of honey
1. Start by preheating your oven to 180°c.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour and sugar. Add the salted butter cut into small pieces and the egg. Mix again to obtain a homogeneous paste.
3. Put your dough in the refrigerator for 15 minuteswhile you prepare the filling.
4. For the filling, blend the dried figs and mix them with the honey.
5. Take your dough out of the refrigerator, and divide it in two. Spread each portion of dough, and on one of them, place your fig garnish.
6. Cover with the second portion of dough and cut out your shortbread using a cookie cutter.
7. Bake to 12 to 15 minutes has 180°c until your shortbread is golden brown.
These delicious fig shortbread cookies have a calorie content of approximately 360 calories per serving. For a lighter version, you can replace the brown sugar with coconut sugar which has a lower glycemic index. You can also opt for a vegetable margarine instead of salted butter.
Tips and variations
To make your recipe even more delicious, don’t hesitate to add crushed nuts to the fig garnish, or even vary the flavors by replacing the figs with dates or dried apricots. Kids usually love making their own shapes with the cookie cutter, so why not make it a fun family activity? So, get to your stove and above all, enjoy!